[cmake-developers] How should Mac frameworks work?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 09:17:17 EDT 2013

Hi there,

For the new Qt release candidate, include files which used to be installed
are no longer installed:

 http://download.qt-project.org/development_releases/qt/5.1/5.1.0-rc2/

The header files are no longer installed to $PREFIX/include/ because the
frameworks installed by Qt are now 'self contained', I'm told.

I assumed that would mean that the include dirs in the config files could
simply be removed:

 set(_Qt5Core_OWN_INCLUDE_DIRS
   "${_qt5Core_install_prefix}/include/"
   "${_qt5Core_install_prefix}/include/QtCore") # No longer exist

 # Should not be needed anyway (for frameworks):
 set_property(TARGET Qt5::Core PROPERTY
   INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES ${_Qt5Core_OWN_INCLUDE_DIRS})

However, a colleage tested it (I have no Mac to hand), and told me that if
those relevant lines are removed from the Config files, CMake does not seem
to pass the relevant -F and --framework lines to the compiler, so #includes
do not work.

Is that a missing feature in CMake that is known, or an unknown bug in a
case which should work?