[cmake-developers] [CMake] 2.8.11-rc3 generator expression error

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 18:15:10 EDT 2013

Brad King wrote:

>> I've pushed the fix-multi-config-tll-include-dirs branch to my clone.
>
> That's a much more detailed explanation, thanks.
>
> Pre-evaluating the expression as "Debug" regardless of the
> configuration involved feels like a hack.  Since this all occurs
> at generate time already anyway, why are we constructing a genex
> only to evaluate it immediately elsewhere in the generator code?
>
> Why can't GetIncludeDirectories just evaluate it->Value as a
> genex with the current configuration, and if it is a valid target
> name then lookup its INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES and use that
> immediately?

Good question. Reading the code, I can't see any reason it needs to be that
way. It's possible that when I implemented that I was focussed on re-using
the code in the processIncludeDirectories function.

Changing it as you describe would probably make the caching easier too
because the includes could be cached directly. This is an area where we had
performance problems before when running cmake on the llvm repo.