[cmake-developers] [CMake] 2.8.11-rc3 generator expression error

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Apr 25 11:21:52 EDT 2013

On 04/25/2013 11:02 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>> Great!  I've turned that patch into this commit:
>>
>>  http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=de9d4a63
>>
>> See commit message for an explanation that makes sense to me.
>
> The commit message is correct, but it's not the whole story. We also need to
> validate the it->Value as a target name acceptable to TARGET_PROPERTY.
>
> I've pushed the fix-multi-config-tll-include-dirs branch to my clone.

That's a much more detailed explanation, thanks.

Pre-evaluating the expression as "Debug" regardless of the
configuration involved feels like a hack.  Since this all occurs
at generate time already anyway, why are we constructing a genex
only to evaluate it immediately elsewhere in the generator code?

Why can't GetIncludeDirectories just evaluate it->Value as a
genex with the current configuration, and if it is a valid target
name then lookup its INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES and use that
immediately?