[cmake-developers] To be merged for next 2.8.11 rc?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:59:27 EDT 2013

2013/4/15 Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com>

> On 04/15/2013 09:35 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:
> > In any case I wish and think 2 staged topics should be merged-in for
> next 2.8.11 RC if
> > there is one left:
> >
> > CPackRPM-avoidOwningSystemDirs
> > this one should solve a recurring bug report about system directories
> > being owned by CPack generated RPM.
> > The change should be safe because the only directories removed from
> > the generated RPM must be present on any RPM-based system.
> >
> > CPackRPM-componentizedUserSpecFile
> > this one is for being able to use one user spec file by component.
> > This is safe too and probably concerns a very small amount of
> > "advanced" users.
>
> For each successive RC we have to be more strict about merging only
> fixes for regressions from previous releases and documentation updates.
> Any other kind of change can introduce new behavior changes that may
> invalidate results of RC testing already done by users.  If a new
> problem were to slip in it might not be caught by users (justifiably)

not willing to test every RC.

Yes I know that and you are right of course.

I guess I shall be more diligent and put things in
soon enough **before** any RC.
To be honest I should have fixed
"CPackRPM-avoidOwningSystemDirs"
long time ago a feel upset when a new bug related to this issue
appeared again... so I take time to fix it.

> Imagine diligently testing rc1 and concluding that it does not break
> your project.  Then the final release comes out and breaks it.  Now
> how motivated will you be to bother testing rc1 of the next release?

Not much, you are right again.

Then forget my request, this will wait 2.8.12.

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org