[cmake-developers] Determining version and arch for Visual Studio generators.

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 03:44:31 EDT 2013

2013/4/11 Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com>

> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
> >> This might also be generally useful for storing an arch triple on linux
> >> systems? Can 32 and 64 bit libs be mixed there?
> >>
> > I don't think they can be mixed anywhere.
>
> Great, that means this would be a simple string comparison with no need to
> parse and extract the info from triples.

Some more informations on that matter,
a 64 bits process cannot access 32bits address space directly (and
vice-versa), you
need a proxy process for that (example being some 32bits plugins for a 64
bits browser):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2412893/making-a-64-bit-shared-library-that-dynamically-links-to-a-32-bit-library-on-mac

Concerning the possible usage of arch triple for target (lib or exe) built
using CMake
and how to define it, I think the work done on Debian Multiarch contains
interesting discussions
and ideas; http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

So may be TARGET_ARCH should be a triple as well (including in the Windows
and OS X case)

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org