[cmake-developers] Determining version and arch for Visual Studio generators.

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 18:16:04 EDT 2013

Bill Hoffman wrote:

> What about VS 9, seems to be missing?

The Qt CI system only tests 2010 and 2012:

 http://testresults.qt-project.org/ci/QtBase_dev_Integration/latest-success/

The wince70embedded-armv4i-msvc2008_Windows_7 build is currently failing for
other reasons, but it's a 'non-enforcing' configuration, meaning the tests
don't have to pass there anyway. If that changes, I'll notice if the cmake
tests fail.

Apart from that, if you want to test the Qt5 cmake files on other
configurations (and with multiple generators) and extending the
ctest_testcase.prf would be useful, we can do that. I think for non-64-bit
builds, cmake already picks the right default though.

> What are all the possible values of win32-??

qtbase-stable/mkspecs{(no branch)}$ find -name "win32-msvc*"
./win32-msvc2012
./win32-msvc2005
./win32-msvc2008
./win32-msvc2010
./unsupported/win32-msvc2003

More generally, the directories here mostly correspond to the possible
values which can be used there (excluding the dirs like 'common', 'device'
'unsupported' 'features' etc):

 https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/trees/HEAD/mkspecs

>> This might also be generally useful for storing an arch triple on linux
>> systems? Can 32 and 64 bit libs be mixed there?
>>
> I don't think they can be mixed anywhere.

Great, that means this would be a simple string comparison with no need to
parse and extract the info from triples.