[cmake-developers] visual studio usage

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Sep 10 17:48:57 EDT 2012

On 9/10/2012 5:38 PM, J Decker wrote:
> I will probably complain from now until it's fixed with a perference
> (which will probably mean me writing a patch; but... )
>
> Devenv has a side effect that msbuild does not; devenv writes to the
> most recently used projects, msbuild does not.   So I can keep using
> visual studio to build my other c# projects that I work on, and even
> have references to them in most recently used.
>
> I have added to my toplevel cmakes a check for msbuild to set that
> before the cmake default script checks; but this doesn't fix the
> CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln that's used by cmake itself; so running a series
> of builds ends up basically obliterating the most recently used files
> with CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE's.

So, the trouble is the Intel Fortran plugin.  It does not work with
msbuild.  I realized Fortran is a small part of the user base.  However,
it simply fails if you try to use msbuild.  So, if there is a project
with Fortran, you have to use devenv.  We used to use msbuild, but made
the switch to support Fortran.   The trycompile stuff showing up in the
recent projects seems to be a somewhat recent thing, I don't think it
used to do that.  I wonder if there is a way to use devenv from the
command line and have it not save to the recently used?

Seems not:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/644985/command-line-switch-for-devenv-to-not-update-most-recently-used

-Bill