[cmake-developers] Using the internal Code::Blocks builder

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Sep 5 14:54:57 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 05 September 2012, Benjamin Eikel wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2012 um 19:34:56 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > On Wednesday 05 September 2012, Benjamin Eikel wrote:
> > > Dear CMake developers,
> > >
> > > I wanted to know if it is possible to let CMake generate a project that
> > > uses the internal build system of the Code::Blocks IDE.
> > > My motivation for this was that a friend of mine, who works together
> > > with me on different projects that use CMake, uses Code::Blocks for
> > > years. He tried CMake's Code::Blocks generator with Makefiles several
> > > times and has never been satisfied (parallel builds not working,
> > > stopping of build not working, slow make on Windows etc.). He ended up
> > > creating a Code::Blocks project manually. I have written a number of
> > > hacks that modify the existing Code::Blocks generator to generate a
> > > project that does not use the generated Makefile, but the build system
> > > of Code::Blocks instead. I do not intend to push these patches, they
> > > were only ment as a
> > > proof-of-concept implementation. With these patches applied I am able
> > > to build several of our projects (shared libraries, dependencies on
> > > external libraries, applications using them) with the generated
> > > Code::Blocks project.
> > > My questions to you are:
> > > 1. Is the CMake community interested in a project generator for CMake
> > > that generates native Code::Blocks projects? If you say that this is
> > > something that you do not want to have, I will stop my work and give my
> > > friend a custom CMake build containing my hacks. If you are nothing
> > > loath to have such generator, I want to try to find a way to do it
> > > right and prepare a topic branch.
> >
> > I wrote the existing CodeBlocks generator, and I'd be happy if you write
> > a "real" one.
> > So, go ahead :-)
> > Is it possible to build a CodeBlocks project from the command line ?
> > I think this is necessary so all the tests can be executed.
>
> if the new CMake generator builds an XML project file like it is done at
> the moment, sure. Why shouldn't that be possible? At the moment you can
> build one with e.g. cmake -G "CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles" (I am sure you
> know that. But especially because of that, I do not fully understand your
> question).

Yes, this is not what I meant.
Once cmake has generated a codeblocks project, let's say foo.cbp, is it
possible to build (compile) this project using codeblocks from the command
line ?
Something like
$ codeblocks --build foo.cbp

This is more or less necessary so cmake can run its test suite to verify the
generator works correctly.

Alex