[cmake-developers] Using the internal Code::Blocks builder

Benjamin Eikel cmake at eikel.org
Wed Sep 5 14:48:33 EDT 2012

Hello Alex,

Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2012 um 19:34:56 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Wednesday 05 September 2012, Benjamin Eikel wrote:
> > Dear CMake developers,
> >
> > I wanted to know if it is possible to let CMake generate a project that
> > uses the internal build system of the Code::Blocks IDE.
> > My motivation for this was that a friend of mine, who works together with
> > me on different projects that use CMake, uses Code::Blocks for years. He
> > tried CMake's Code::Blocks generator with Makefiles several times and has
> > never been satisfied (parallel builds not working, stopping of build not
> > working, slow make on Windows etc.). He ended up creating a Code::Blocks
> > project manually. I have written a number of hacks that modify the
> > existing Code::Blocks generator to generate a project that does not use
> > the generated Makefile, but the build system of Code::Blocks instead. I
> > do not intend to push these patches, they were only ment as a
> > proof-of-concept implementation. With these patches applied I am able to
> > build several of our projects (shared libraries, dependencies on external
> > libraries, applications using them) with the generated Code::Blocks
> > project.
> > My questions to you are:
> > 1. Is the CMake community interested in a project generator for CMake
> > that generates native Code::Blocks projects? If you say that this is
> > something that you do not want to have, I will stop my work and give my
> > friend a custom CMake build containing my hacks. If you are nothing
> > loath to have such generator, I want to try to find a way to do it right
> > and prepare a topic branch.
>
> I wrote the existing CodeBlocks generator, and I'd be happy if you write a
> "real" one.
> So, go ahead :-)
> Is it possible to build a CodeBlocks project from the command line ?
> I think this is necessary so all the tests can be executed.

if the new CMake generator builds an XML project file like it is done at the
moment, sure. Why shouldn't that be possible? At the moment you can build one
with e.g. cmake -G "CodeBlocks - Unix Makefiles" (I am sure you know that. But
especially because of that, I do not fully understand your question).

> > 2. What would be the right way to write such a generator? I
> > think modifying the cmExtraCodeBlocksGenerator class is not the right
> > way. Maybe one would have to write a new subclass of cmGlobalGenerator?
>
> Yes.

Alright. Thank you for your fast answer.

Kind regards
Benjamin