[cmake-developers] Questions on staged topic branches

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Sep 4 13:48:31 EDT 2012

If you are on the "To" line, please reply to this email, and answer
the questions below:

Brad and I have questions on these staged topic branches before we
consider them for merging to 'master'.

##########
# Peter Kuemmel and Eric Noulard:
#                                    cpack-stripping | master=0 next=1

This one should not be necessary. Can you tell us what problem it
fixes? The only valid install path that should ever go under DESTDIR
has to be an absolute path already anyways. So it will either start
with a "/" already, or a "$" because it begins with
"${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}"... so this change is unnecessary, and in
fact harmful in the case where DESTDIR doesn't end with a "/" but the
install rule does begin with ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}. (Or are we
misreading this somehow?)

##########
# Eric Noulard:
#               CPackRPM_handleAttrDirectiveProperly | master=0 next=1

The character set used in the REGEX here has errors in it: [A-Za-z\(\)-\,]

1) The comma does not need to be escaped in this character set
context, but "\\" does if you mean to include the backslash character.
2) The hyphen, if meant to be matched is not matched here, but used as
a range separator from the \) to the \,

What's the intent of the change? To handle commas and hyphens, you
would add ",-" at the end of the existing character set. If more
characters need to be matched, then add them, but keep the hyphen last
or make it first or escape it in order to match it here.

# James Bigler:
#             topics/FindCUDA/Add-CUDA_HOST_COMPILER | master=0 next=1

Is CUDA_HOST_COMPILER a path to a directory or a file? It appears to
take on different values depending on which if branch you go through.
Is that true? Or should it always be a full path to the compiler?

Thanks all -- depending on the answers, we may take these next time we
merge, or they might need additional work first.

David