[cmake-developers] visual studio usage

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Fri Jun 8 12:11:58 EDT 2012

Hi,

Sorry but it's not clear to me: when you say "using devenv" do you
mean opening the IDE, or do you mean calling devenv form the
command-line like "devenv /build Debug mysolution.sln"? The former is
slow due to IntelliSense, ReSharper, etc but the latter is very fast.

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 5:59 PM, J Decker <d3ck0r at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are two reasons this is an issue (for me)
>
> 1) using devenv to build is MUCH slower on many of the projects than
> just using MSBuild.  ... yes I know, longer build times mean more time
> at the water cooler or whatever...
>
> 2) Using devenv, each project that gets built becomes a
> most-recently-used file for visual studio, so the things I'm actually
> working on (not the dozens of projects that get built with automated
> method) get lost; they get shoved off the list of recently used files
> pretty quick.
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM, J Decker <d3ck0r at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay I saw the comments in the platform scripts about fortran, but
>> maybe a symbol could be added to maybe prefer msbuild; there are a
>> couple like that for InstallSystemRuntimeLibraries or whatever that
>> was... so you can control the behavior.  The other alternative might
>> be add additional options for generators that prefer one or the other.
>>
>> if( PREFER_MSBUILD )
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
>> <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It will probably introduce other problems:
>>>
>>> MsBuild woes
>>> http://www.elpauer.org/?p=955

>>> --
>>> Pau Garcia i Quiles
>>> http://www.elpauer.org
>>> (Due to my workload, I may need 10 days to answer)
> --
>
> Powered by www.kitware.com

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org