[cmake-developers] -GNinja on Windows

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Wed Jun 6 07:14:45 EDT 2012

Here the actual status of the Ninja generator.

The generator now uses Ninja's build-in response support.

- MSVC10

Dependency checking is still missing as essential feature,
but the rest is quite good:

The following tests FAILED:
          82 - BuildDepends (Failed)
         140 - CTestGTMCoverage (Failed)
         158 - CTestTestStopTime (Failed)

And it is maybe better on the build server (CTestGTMCoverage/CTestTestStopTime)

- MinGW 4.7

Because 'ar' has problems with \ in response files currently slashes are used
for the patch names, then this ninja patch is needed

     https://github.com/martine/ninja/pull/322

Maybe there is a better solution, which would automatically fix a lot of unit tests.

The RC compiler is set now internally and therefore the unit tests could be run:

The following tests FAILED:
          36 - CxxOnly (Failed)
          38 - OutDir (Failed)
          39 - ObjectLibrary (Failed)
          40 - NewlineArgs (Failed)
          42 - ExternalOBJ (Failed)
          54 - ExportImport (Failed)
          62 - Module.GenerateExportHeader (Failed)
          72 - Framework (Failed)
          77 - CustomCommand (Failed)
          80 - BuildDepends (Failed)
          85 - CPackComponentsForAll-ZIP-OnePackPerGroup (Failed)
          86 - CPackComponentsForAll-ZIP-IgnoreGroup (Failed)
          87 - CPackComponentsForAll-ZIP-AllInOne (Failed)
          89 - X11 (Failed)
          94 - complex (Failed)
          95 - complexOneConfig (Failed)
          99 - ExternalProject (Failed)
         104 - TutorialStep5 (Failed)
         105 - TutorialStep6 (Failed)
         106 - TutorialStep7 (Failed)
         107 - testing (Failed)
         108 - wrapping (Failed)
         109 - qtwrapping (Failed)
         113 - Dependency (Failed)
         117 - linkorder1 (Failed)
         119 - kwsys (Failed)
         120 - SubDir (Failed)
         145 - CMakeCommands.target_link_libraries (Failed)
         153 - CTestTestStopTime (Failed)
         154 - CTestTestSubdir (Failed)
         169 - IncludeDirectories (Failed)
         177 - CMakeOnly.CheckCXXSymbolExists (Failed)
         179 - CMakeOnly.CheckLanguage (Failed)

I assume most errors are because of '/' '\' mismatch.

I propose to also enable Ninja on Windows this would give as more feedback
and maybe we also get some bug fixes. And nobody is forced to use the ninja
generator.

Peter