[cmake-developers] [CMake] ADD_DEPENDENCIES() and NonExisitngDependent is NOT an error?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jul 27 14:12:07 EDT 2012

Sorry I don't have the bandwidth to chime in on this very much, but
just so you don't waste any more of your time on this (unless you're
really passionate about it and would do it anyhow...):

I'm not going to rush a change like this into CMake just before the
2.8.9 release.

The best possible scenario here is for a change like this to go into
'master' right after the 2.8.9 release and be ready for when 2.8.10
rolls around.

This "bug" has been around for a mighty long time, and once you know
about it, you just "don't do that" anymore.

Having said that, we're not going to put in a semi-fix for this one
"for now" and then fix it up more later: we'll spend the effort and
time on it to get it right the first time, or we'll just leave well
enough alone.

Thanks,
David