[cmake-developers] cmake selftest use different compiler and binutils as configured on Darwin

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Sun Jul 15 18:02:12 EDT 2012

Claus,

You would use just "Nightly" -- the remaining Nightly* dashboard types
listed just do the named individual steps of a full Nightly dashboard,
not the whole thing.

However, if you are going to submit a nightly dashboard, you should do
so by following the directions found here:

  http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git/Dashboard

At the top of the cmake_common script, you'll find comments that lead
you to write a wrapper script for it that looks something like the one
seen here:

  http://open.cdash.org/viewNotes.php?buildid=2440135

For reference (after the above link becomes stale in the future), that
script has these contents, which show the recommended way to use
another compiler (by setting env vars CC and CXX and FC):

  # 2012-07-15 02:24:00 --
/Users/kitware/Dashboards/DashboardScripts/dashmacmini5_cmake_icc.cmake

  set(ENV{CC} "icc")
  set(ENV{CXX} "icpc")
  set(ENV{FC} "ifort")

  set(CTEST_SITE "dashmacmini5.kitware")
  set(CTEST_BUILD_NAME "MacOSX10.7-$ENV{CC}")
  set(CTEST_BUILD_CONFIGURATION Release)
  set(CTEST_CMAKE_GENERATOR "Unix Makefiles")

  set(build_dir "CMake-$ENV{CC}")
  set(source_dir "${build_dir}-src")
  set(CTEST_DASHBOARD_ROOT "$ENV{HOME}/Dashboards/My Tests")
  set(CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY "${CTEST_DASHBOARD_ROOT}/${source_dir}")
  set(CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY "${CTEST_DASHBOARD_ROOT}/${build_dir}")

  set(CTEST_TEST_ARGS PARALLEL_LEVEL 5)
  set(CTEST_BUILD_FLAGS "-j5")

  set(CTEST_GIT_COMMAND /usr/bin/git)

  set(dashboard_model Nightly)

  set(dashboard_cache "
  BUILD_QtDialog:BOOL=ON
  QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=/Users/kitware/Support/qt-4.8.0/install/bin/qmake
  ")

  include(${CTEST_SCRIPT_DIRECTORY}/cmake_common.cmake)

Of course, in adapting that script to your own machine, you will of
course have to reference your own Qt (or avoid it, if you don't have
Qt) and change other machine specific paths.

Using the cmake_common script, the updates column will show what has
changed since the last time you ran a dashboard. If you just start
from scratch every night, then the updates column will not have
anything in it, and people who committed code will not be notified
about problems that may be demonstrated on your dashboard.

Driving that script with "ctest -S" should submit a dashboard for you.
If you want to use ninja, then you have to build a ctest/cmake that
has ninja support in it and use that one to drive the script. Let us
know if you have any more questions about this.

Thanks for volunteering for some dashboard submissions!

Hope this helps,
David