[cmake-developers] rc compiler on windows mingw

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Sep 22 10:42:44 EDT 2011

On 9/22/2011 10:28 AM, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com
> <mailto:bill.hoffman at kitware.com>> wrote:
>

>     But, so was this guy:
>
>     http://www.cmake.org/__pipermail/cmake/2011-__September/046228.html
>     <http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-September/046228.html>
>

> I have not looked into how CMake finds the resource compiler, but this
> guy's case is different from the one you posted: this guy is using NMake
> makefiles (not GNU Make makefiles) with MinGW as the compiler.
>
> I'm just guessing, but I'd say the problem is CMake looks for the
> resource compiler "associated" to the Make utility:
>
> - MSVC: nmake.exe => rc.exe
> - MinGW: make.exe => windres.exe
>
> This guy thinks he solved the issue by adding cl.exe to the path. If my
> conjecture is correct, it was not cl.exe what was missing actually, but
> rc.exe, which happens to live in the same directory as cl.exe. By
> "adding cl.exe to the path" he actually added rc.exe to the path, which
> is what CMake was looking for.

Yes, that is exactly what happened in this case.  However, the result
was the same, he tried to build a project that most likely did not use
resources, and it failed.  In this case, most likely we need to do a
different association here...

gcc -> windres
cl -> rc.exe

And not depend on the build tool.