[cmake-developers] rc compiler on windows mingw

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Sep 22 10:28:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

>  But, so was this guy:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/**pipermail/cmake/2011-**September/046228.html<http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-September/046228.html>

I have not looked into how CMake finds the resource compiler, but this guy's
case is different from the one you posted: this guy is using NMake makefiles
(not GNU Make makefiles) with MinGW as the compiler.

I'm just guessing, but I'd say the problem is CMake looks for the resource
compiler "associated" to the Make utility:

- MSVC: nmake.exe => rc.exe
- MinGW: make.exe => windres.exe

This guy thinks he solved the issue by adding cl.exe to the path. If my
conjecture is correct, it was not cl.exe what was missing actually, but
rc.exe, which happens to live in the same directory as cl.exe. By "adding
cl.exe to the path" he actually added rc.exe to the path, which is what
CMake was looking for.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org