[cmake-developers] Freeze and review?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:48:25 EDT 2011

David Cole wrote:

> Merging to next triggers testing on the CMake dashboard clients.
>
> If the maintainer may object to something that shouldn't be in there,
> then please contact him first.
>
> You may always merge to 'next' -- but we ask that you use your best
> judgment. If something has no chance of being accepted into the
> upcoming CMake 2.8.6 release, then it may be wiser to defer even
> putting it on the stage until after we finalize the release.
>
> Think about it this way: if it's not on the stage, and not in 'next',
> then it cannot possibly be accidentally merged into 'master' and
> included in the next rc or the final release. If it is on the stage,
> and it is in 'next' then Brad and I may merge it in even though you
> didn't intend it, unless we are communicating well enough to avoid
> misunderstandings.
>
> On the other hand, Brad and I tend to get stricter about what we merge
> to 'master' as we approach the final release, so you can trust us to
> act conservatively in that respect.
>
> It's nice (for us) to have the dashboards and 'next' represent to a
> very close degree, the content of what is in the upcoming release, so
> that the dashboard testing gives us an accurate picture of the state
> of the project.
>
> Let me know if you still have a question I have not answered, or it
> any of this seems confusing.

Thanks, this is very clear. I have already put the branch into the stage
clone, though it is not merged into next. I'll ping Clinton about it.

The patch is one of the only differences in the KDE version and the CMake
versions of Qt4Macros.cmake. Almost all other differences are improvements
in the CMake version.

It's not a risky change, but it's also not a big deal to not have it in
2.8.6, so I'll just not merge it to next until after that is in the wild.