[cmake-developers] Merging cmake-link-interface-libraries into master?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 25 08:46:28 EDT 2011

On 10/25/2011 06:09 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I've just merged the target-link-libraries-interfaces branch into next, so I
> can maybe add tests for that feature whenever the test-target_link_libraries
> is more ready.

Sounds good.

> What work needs to be done for test-target_link_libraries to leave the wip
> state?

I need more time to look through the test to see how it works and determine
whether it exposes any problems that can be fixed.

> What does CMake think  about rebasing? I much prefer to squash a branch like
> test-target_link_libraries into fewer commits so that eg adding newlines and
> changing tests to examine dashboard changes are not separate commits. I
> don't think those commits add value, but only noise.

I agree.  We have no problem with rewriting topics that have not yet been
merged to master.  If you rewrite a topic such that the net change is the
same as what is already in next then it should merge cleanly.  We have a
process during our merge meeting to identify pieces of next's history that
have been rewritten and exclude them from consideration for master.

> Can I squash them in the stage clone if you push those branches there?

Yes.  I just overwrote cmake-link-interface-libraries on the stage with the
rewritten version that has just the feature.  Then I added the new topic
test-target_link_libraries and merged it to next.  The net result in 'next'
is unchanged but the history is separated between the topics.  Feel free
to rewrite test-target_link_libraries.

We will probably merge the new cmake-link-interface-libraries to master
later today (since the net change for the feature has already been sitting
in next for a while).

> Do I have karma to push -f to stage?

Yes, but use with care.  You can easily erase someone else's topic.
Also don't forget that the tip of the topic must be identical after
rewriting in order to merge cleanly to next with the old version.