[cmake-developers] CPack testing required

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:26:52 EST 2011

Hi All,

I've been working on CPack component for ArchiveGenerator
(shipped in 2.8.3 and 2.8.4) and RPM (shipped in 2.8.4).

I did break backward compatibility in 2.8.3
because I did not realized I did changed the default behavior.

I changed this in 2.8.4 and add some way to maintain backward compatbility
and enable new "ways" of packaging by using a generator specific var,
see
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Component_Install_With_CPack#CPack_Generator_specific_behavior

I have more enhancement underway (either already in next or stage or
simply planned) for 2.8.5.
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/roadmap_page.php

Clinton (Simpson) is working behind the curtain to improve the
DragNDrop CPack generator.
He made me a lot of useful private remarks concerning CPack 2.8.4 and
the CPack in next.

Some others interesting request concerning CPack are pending:

which may require some rework in CPack design in order to fulfills their needs.

I am willing to enhance CPack in order to improve its ease of use.
I try my best to avoid backward compatibility breakage  (last was 2.8.3)
but sometimes I do because of lack of test & time.

I'm developing primarily on Linux and can do tests for Deb, RPM and
ArchiveGenerators (ZIP, TGZ, etc...).
I would need help for NSIS on Windows and MacOS CPack Generator.
I do use the dashboard and added Tests/CPackComponentsForAll in order
to improve CPack testing.

I'll start some separate ML thread concerning each CPack "issue/evolution"
I'd like to discuss with any interested CMake developer.

Feel free to react on each of those threads.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org