[cmake-developers] [CMake] Fortran good and bad

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Mar 1 12:07:57 EST 2011

On 3/1/2011 10:55 AM, Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:

> I think that the cmVisualStudio10TargetGenerator.cxx would be the
> most likely place for the fortran support to be added.  They should
> be close to what is done in the cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator for
> fortran support.
>>>

> OK, that's what I ended up doing. I generated a simple fortran
> project using visual studio, examined the xml generated and am
> basically pasting chunks of it into the generator to mimic the
> output, except where we need to change flag/files - using the
> 7Generatior as a basis for ideas.
>
> I wasn't quite sure if there was some plan to have a
> CxxTargetGenerator, FortranTargetGenerator, Library/Exe or other
> abstractions - I still haven't looked at the code much as I'm just
> experimenting with this between other projects.

No not plans for that.  If the target is fortran, then it should create
a fortran xml.  Most likely change the file extension as well.   I
assume you are doing this in a git clone so it will be easy for us to
accept the patch?   We have a machine that we can run dashboards on for
this if you get it working.

Thanks!

-Bill