[cmake-developers] [CMake] Fortran good and bad

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Mar 1 09:20:48 EST 2011

On 3/1/2011 3:05 AM, Biddiscombe, John A. wrote:
> >> should I be looking at cmVisualStudio10TargetGenerator, or
cmGlobalVisualStudio10Generator/cmGlobalVisualStudio10Win64Generator or
one of the base classes?

> I didn't get any reply to this, so I would like to ask instead
>
> There is a VisualStudio GlobalGenerator, LocalGenerator and
TargetGenerator. I can't find any particularly useful description of
what roles these should play (and how they interact). To add support for
the fortran composer I have started modifying the
cmVisualStudio10TargetGenerator, by just stuffing in checks for
FortranProject and then directly modifying various calls to write out
stuff. Not got very far yet.

> Does anyone have 5 minutes to explain how these classes -should-
interact with each other so that I can make my changes as minimally
intrusive as possible.

John, this would be a better question for the cmake-developers list.
Also, I would have to see how Intel is generating native fortran visual
studio projects to understand how best to modify the code.  The older
visual studio fortran support is done here:
cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator.cxx

I think that the cmVisualStudio10TargetGenerator.cxx would be the most
likely place for the fortran support to be added.  They should be close
to what is done in the cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator for fortran support.

-Bill