[cmake-developers] Better Eclipse CDT support

Oliver Buchtala oliver.buchtala at jku.at
Fri Apr 29 18:10:21 EDT 2011

Am 29.04.2011 21:45, schrieb Manuel Klimek:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
>> On Thursday 28 April 2011, Oliver Buchtala wrote:
>>> wst-file is allright and I see that all projects are generated :)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this working set stuff is yet a bit inconvenient, as it
>>> is not an Eclipse built-in.
>>>
>>> What you need to do:
>>> 0. Switch to C/C++ perspective (maybe this is the empty project
>>> observation you described?)
>>> 1. Import eclipse projects (all from the CDT_ECLIPSE_OUTPUT_DIR)
>>>  -> you see all projects flat side by side?
>> I have to import all the projects in eclipse/ manually one by one ?
> Nope, you just go to the toplevel directory, and eclipse will import
> recursively.
>

>>> I want to create an Eclipse Plugin which shall make all this more
>>> convenient and more automatically.
>>> Something like a CMake enabling 'Solution' file that manages imported
>>> projects and working sets etc...
>>> But yet I am a PDE beginner... so, this will take some more weeks...
>> That sounds like a great plan :-)
>>
>> But, for me, the thing which sucks by far most about the Eclipse generator, is
>> that Eclipse has these problems with out-of-source building.
>> AFAIK Eclipse expects that the project file is at the root of the source tree,
>> and that e.g. also the svn etc. directories are in this tree.
Nowadays, there are ways to deal better with that: linked folders,
virtual folders and linked resources

> For me Oliver's eclipse generator actually works with out-of-source
> builds. (eclipse 3.7, CDT 8). If I remember correctly the main thing
> to look out for is to put the workspace outside of both the source and
> the cmake build directory.

Actually, *only* out-of-tree works well - unfortunately even
(out-of-tree)^2 is necessary ;)

The proposed solution is pretty similar to that generated for Visual
Studio using virtual folders for structure and explicit referenced files.
There are two options when importing generated eclipse projects:
1. Create out-of-every-tree using CDT_ECLIPSE_OUTPUT_DIR, then easy
import by one click (ehm... at least O(1)) ;)
2. do not use CDT_ECLIPSE_OUTPUT_DIR? then make sure you copy the
projects into your workspace (by activating a checkbox in the dialog).
    Though, I do not recomment as reconfigure won't affect your projects
then.

Unfortunately the following is not working (would be my favorite):
proj-root
   - src ...
   - build
     - eclipse-prj
       - <eclipse-linked folder to proj-root/>
together with using proj-root/build as eclipse workspace.
It is not allowed to have 'active' projects in some sub-dir of linked
folders,
or in other words, to link to parent-folders from eclipse proj.

Bye,
Oliver