[cmake-developers] Better Eclipse CDT support

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Fri Apr 29 15:45:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 April 2011, Oliver Buchtala wrote:
>> wst-file is allright and I see that all projects are generated :)
>>
>> Unfortunately, this working set stuff is yet a bit inconvenient, as it
>> is not an Eclipse built-in.
>>
>> What you need to do:
>> 0. Switch to C/C++ perspective (maybe this is the empty project
>> observation you described?)
>> 1. Import eclipse projects (all from the CDT_ECLIPSE_OUTPUT_DIR)
>>  -> you see all projects flat side by side?
>
> I have to import all the projects in eclipse/ manually one by one ?

Nope, you just go to the toplevel directory, and eclipse will import
recursively.

> I mean, there are twenty or more, I didn't count.
> I don't really feel like doing this.
>
>> 2. Import wst file
>> 3. Goto 'Select Working Sets...' (in Project Explorer)
>> 4. Select all (three) working sets
>> 5. Goto 'Top Level Elements' (in Project Explorer) and activate 'Working
>> Sets'
>> Now you should see the projects within working sets
>>
>> Note1: almost all are in the CMake working sets, as FOLDERs are only set
>> for MSVC generators
>> Note2: once I experienced that the working sets plugin spoiled my
>> workspace some how and I had import from scratch
>> after deleting .metadata in workspace directory and restart eclipse and
>> then redo that importing.
>>
>> Helps?
>>
>> I want to create an Eclipse Plugin which shall make all this more
>> convenient and more automatically.
>> Something like a CMake enabling 'Solution' file that manages imported
>> projects and working sets etc...
>> But yet I am a PDE beginner... so, this will take some more weeks...
>
> That sounds like a great plan :-)
>
> But, for me, the thing which sucks by far most about the Eclipse generator, is
> that Eclipse has these problems with out-of-source building.
> AFAIK Eclipse expects that the project file is at the root of the source tree,
> and that e.g. also the svn etc. directories are in this tree.

For me Oliver's eclipse generator actually works with out-of-source
builds. (eclipse 3.7, CDT 8). If I remember correctly the main thing
to look out for is to put the workspace outside of both the source and
the cmake build directory.

Cheers,
/Manuel