[cmake-developers] Better Eclipse CDT support

Oliver Buchtala oliver.buchtala at jku.at
Thu Apr 28 19:41:57 EDT 2011

Am 29.04.2011 00:03, schrieb Oliver Buchtala:
> Am 28.04.2011 23:30, schrieb Oliver Buchtala:

>>> I installed the plugin.
>>> Now I imported the working set CMake.wst instead of the project(s).
>>> I see three working sets: CMake, CMake/ALL and CMake/CTestDashboardTargets.
>>> When I select "Top Level Elements" -> Projects, I see nothing from them.
>>> When I select "Top Level Elements" -> "Working sets", I see them, e.g.
>>> the "CMake" one. When I try to click it open, it is empty. If I right-click
>>> it and "Go Into", the pane becomes empty.
>>> When I right-click and click "Properties", it shows me a dialog with the
>>> existing (other) projects, no cmake among them, and no directories are
>>> checked.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong ?
>>>
>>> The wst file is attached.
>>>
>>> Alex
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> wst-file is allright and I see that all projects are generated :)
>>
>> Unfortunately, this working set stuff is yet a bit inconvenient, as it
>> is not an Eclipse built-in.
>>
>> What you need to do:
>> 0. Switch to C/C++ perspective (maybe this is the empty project
>> observation you described?)
>> 1. Import eclipse projects (all from the CDT_ECLIPSE_OUTPUT_DIR)
>>  -> you see all projects flat side by side?
>> 2. Import wst file
>> 3. Goto 'Select Working Sets...' (in Project Explorer)
>> 4. Select all (three) working sets
>> 5. Goto 'Top Level Elements' (in Project Explorer) and activate 'Working
>> Sets'
>> Now you should see the projects within working sets
>>
>> Note1: almost all are in the CMake working sets, as FOLDERs are only set
>> for MSVC generators
>> Note2: once I experienced that the working sets plugin spoiled my
>> workspace some how and I had import from scratch
>> after deleting .metadata in workspace directory and restart eclipse and
>> then redo that importing.
>>
>> Helps?
>>
>> I want to create an Eclipse Plugin which shall make all this more
>> convenient and more automatically.
>> Something like a CMake enabling 'Solution' file that manages imported
>> projects and working sets etc...
>> But yet I am a PDE beginner... so, this will take some more weeks...
>>
>> Bye,
>> Oliver
>>
> FYI: I am currently struggling a bit with Eclipse's linked folders under
> Eclipse 3.6 + CDT 7.0.2.
> This has the consequence, that I can not add a link to
> PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR and PROJECT_BINARY_DIR
> without causing troubles with the CDT indexer. I'd really like to have a
> the global project similar to the project your generator creates.
> With Eclipse 3.7 and CDT 8 these problems seem to be resolved.
> So that feature is currently deactivated and I will make it switchable
> for edge-affine eclipse users.
> When the next version is released officially it's gonna be the default
> behavior.
>
> Bye,
> [...]

As described before, I added links to the (main) project's source and
build folder.
You enable this with -DCDT_LINK_MAIN_SOURCE_FOLDERS=ON.

For that to work properly, I strongly recommend to use Eclipse 3.7 M6 +
CDT 8.0.

@Alex: is there a way to provide --help assistance concerning such
parameters with extra-generators?

Bye,