[cmake-developers] git move

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Tue Mar 9 17:19:14 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so, I'm a complete git newbie...
> git push doesn't work for me, it says "The remote end hung up unexpectedly".
>
> Any idea what went wrong here:
>
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake/Modules$ git add Qt4ConfigDependentSettings.cmake
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake/Modules$ git commit
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake/Modules$ git config remote.origin.pushurl
> git at cmake.org:cmake.git
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake/Modules$ git push
> hammer:~/src/CMake/CMake/Modules$

I'm not a git user (not even a newbie), but I have been working with
mercurial for a while and since I learned about hg-git I don't think I
want to learn git (just because I don't have the mental bandwidth
riight now... others might call it being lazy ;) ).

So FWIW, did you do a: 'git pull --rebase' before commiting?

I know I was having that problem from the hg-git end. That is, the
git-server will not let you create several heads, so if a changeset
came in before you pushed. You will need to rebase it; that is, move
your changeset forward as if it was applied to the current head.

Aside from that, I'm out of ideas...

[...]
> P.S. how can I see what will be pushed, i.e. something like "git diff" but not
> between my working copy and my local repository, but between my local
> repository and the remote one ?

What about: git fetch --dry-run ?

--Miguel