<html>After stripping down the question to "can I install an imported target"? - with the purpose to copy the shared libraries also into the lib directory of the importing project - I could actually also use Google and look for an answer that somebody else might have been asked.<br /><br />And indeed: this seems to be a rather common question!<br /><br />And the "official answer" seems to be something like "this bug is a feature". It must have been a change request already years ago, and it was refused with different arguments, like:<br /><br />1) proper RPATH handling is not possible in this case, because CMake cannot know the way how the shared library was built initially, so it is not able to manipulate it.<br /><br />At first this looks plausible, but then I was thinking that in Linux you always deal with ELF binaries, and there you have tools to manipulate RPATH/RUNPATH easily, and in Windows there is nothing similar - and others I don't know...<br /><br />2) the target is already installed, so it makes no sense to install it again; it would only be a waste of disk space.<br /><br />Well, in my case it would make a lot of sense, and also for any kind of packager that might use the install directory it would be much easier if all the stuff is already in one location.<br /><br />3...) maybe others - I did not follow further.<br /><br />In any case the conclusion is: It's like it is, and all my confusion came basically from this strange behaviour - that "install" is not always really "install" (but now I know at least when and why!). And the only way around - if I want to avoid the configure_file solution - would be to do some proper install(FILES...) instead - together with a little hacking regarding what the right files actually are.<br /><br />Best regards, Cornelis</html>