<div dir="ltr"><br><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr">Le mer. 15 août 2018 à 10:57, Ray Donnelly <<a href="mailto:mingw.android@gmail.com">mingw.android@gmail.com</a>> a écrit :<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto">Docker is unnecessary overhead here and irrelevant to the question of which compilers to use when building conda packages (use ours or risk binary incompatibility with the rest of the ecosystems, please do not attempt to use e.g. CentOS6 system compilers to compile modern software either!). <span style="font-family:sans-serif">Docker doesn't come with modern compilers patched to support things like c++17 on CentOS6, they are also slow and to not mitigate against Spectre.</span></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Hi Ray,</div><div><br></div><div>Don't get me wrong I certainly don't want to generate flamewar against the benefits conda gives to many users.</div><div>I routinely use custom-compiled compilers in native environment (without docker nor conda though) and I did never have any issue while compiling things with CMake and those custom compilers.</div><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto">Our compilation story is very good. </div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Again I don't doubt that, and please accept my apologies if my previous words may have been understood otherwise.</div><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto">For testing the packages though (on Linux targets) I love using docker. I can make sure our conda packages work on all the OSes we support.</div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Agreed too, use the right tool for the right purpose.</div><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"></div><div dir="auto">You can if you want use our compilers in docker but it's pretty pointless (and routing conda package building thorough something like docker is a requirement the community, conda forge in particular does not need).</div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>I don't want that I was asking question about Sebastian needs and certainly not questioning the value of conda and in particular the conda compiler work you did.</div><div>I know too well that having a "fully controlled compiler version" is essential when you want to support a wide range of platforms [even various linux distribution], precisely because you want to ensure that you can "at least" have say C++17 on all your supported platform/distros, or common runtime or homogeneous OpenMP support etc... </div><div> </div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I dream of a day when docker is seen as one great tool with lots of useful applications instead of the solution to everything but I don't see it coming anytime soon.</div></div></div></blockquote><div><br></div><div>I really don't think docker is the solution to everything.</div><div>Again I'm sorry if my previous statement may have been understood otherwise.</div><div><br></div><div>Having conda/conda compiler/conda build work seamlessly working with CMake is valuable and I'm sure you'll find the proper solution for that along with Kitware</div><div>as already referred issue and PR indicates.</div></div><div><br></div>-- <br><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div>Eric<br></div></div></div></div></div></div>