[CMake] FindMPI & policy CMP0004

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Sun Mar 11 18:07:00 EDT 2018

This could be a case of needing to clear out an old CMake cache. That
problem you mentioned was supposed to have been fixed already. You can find
the updated discussion of the Mantis issue you linked to in gitlab here
<https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/11881> where someone else
had a situation that sounds similar to yours.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Andreas Naumann <Andreas-Naumann at gmx.net>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> recently, I got a problem with FindMPI on our HPC systems. With cmake
> 3.10.2, I get an error about policy CMP0004. And I cannot set it to OLD
> anymore. Is this intended?
>
> Exactly the same error, together with a patch, is described in the
> bugtracker https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11881
>
> I cannot reproduce the error easiliy. On my home system, it works. But on
> the hpc system, mpicc -showme:link returns
> -L<MPIDIR>/lib -lmpi -ldl -lm -lnuma -Wl,--export-dynamic -lrt -lnsl
> -lutil -lm -ldl
>
> so, we have exactly one -Wl,<something> part and libraries otherwise. It
> looks to me, that the patch from the bugtracker should avoid the problem.
> Can somebody confirm this finding?
>
> The problem gets even worse with newercmake versions. With cmake 3.9, I
> can set policy cmp0004 to OLD, so FindMPI remains usable. With newer cmake
> versions, ie. 3.10.2,  the policy setting seems to get deprecated. So, the
> user won't get any way to use newer cmake with such a bug.
>
> What is the preferred way to resolve such an issue, when the policy
> setting is not allowed anymore?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
> --