[CMake] GSOC 2018 CMake Project for Kodi

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Wed Mar 7 06:52:02 EST 2018

You may want to have a look at the new FetchContent
<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/FetchContent.html> module added
in the 3.11 release (currently in release candidate stage). It already
brings a production-tested dependency downloading system, but still leaves
how to build those dependencies up to the project. It may form a good basis
for the GSoC work and I can probably answer questions related to that
module if needed.

Also consider other existing systems which may have already sufficiently
solved this problem for you or at least be useful for showing how aspects
of the work could be done. There are a number of popular systems worth
checking out that are often mentioned on this list, including hunter,
Spack, cget and others (I'll let the various stakeholders in the relevant
projects chime in with their views rather than me potentially misrepresent
some).

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Kolja Lampe <razze at kodi.tv> wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> the Kodi Team is also offering a CMake related Project.
> Please check it out:

> Kodi depends on that supports most platforms (Linux, Android, OS X, iOS)
> and cross-compiling called depends. At the moment, it is implemented with
> autotools and hand-crafted Makefiles. This has lead to a lot of code
> duplication, poor maintainability, and not being very user-friendly. Also,
> it does not currently work on Windows. This task would be about replacing
> the current system with a new implementation in CMake that has better
> maintainability.
>
> *Expected outcome:* A CMake-based dependency build system that offers
> roughly the same features as depends (i.e. all required libraries covered,
> diverse platform support, crosscompilation). If the solution can also be
> applied to Windows by e.g. adding minimal CMake files to replace some
> UNIX-only build systems, that would be a big plus, but it is not necessary.
>
> *Skills preferred:* CMake, shell scripting, general familiarity with
> UNIX/Linux
>
> *Possible mentors:* wsnipex
>
> *Difficulty:* Medium
>
> *Type:* Infrastructure/Automation