[CMake] [ANNOUNCE] CMake 3.12.0-rc2 is ready for testing

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jun 29 18:05:25 EDT 2018

On 2018-06-29 14:46-0400 Robert Maynard wrote:
[...]
> * The "cmake_minimum_required()" and "cmake_policy(VERSION)"
>  commands now accept a version range using the form
>  set based on the "<max>" version.  This allows projects to specify a
>  range of versions for which they have been updated and avoid
>  explicit policy settings.
[...]

I suggest the following change to the above description:

but policies are set based on the "<max>" version.

==>

but policies are set based on the minimum of the running CMake and "<max>" versions.

I prefer the latter because it immediately answers the question implied by the former, i.e.,
what happens if the running version is less than max?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin