[CMake] Issues trying to use the Anaconda compiler tools with CMake

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 04:29:38 EDT 2018

Le mar. 14 août 2018 à 20:38, Sebastián Mancilla <smancill at jlab.org> a
écrit :

> I wanted to try Conda for normal day-to-day C++ development, while having
> all the dependencies isolated from other projects and the base system.
>
> - Change the sources
> - Build
> - Run the tests
> - Repeat

Hi Sebastian,

Just curious on why you would prefer conda over "real" container technology
like docker or rkt for the kind of usage you describe ?
Do you ultimately want to distribute your software as conda packages?

I'm not proficient in conda but AFAIK docker (or rkt) offers easier/better
isolation for the usage you describe.
The side-effect being that inside your container cmake should behave like
as expected.
At least this is my own experience.

Some people even try to automatize the container creation out of conda
packaged software:
https://github.com/BioContainers/mulled
I have no experience with that whatsoever, I usually craft my own
dockerfile and work with that.

If your goal includes the distrubution of your software as conda package
may be you can get in touch with people
at conda-forge: https://conda-forge.org/#about, I bet they build a lot of
cmake-based projects in there and may
have experienced same caveats with the conda compilers usage.

--
Eric