[CMake] LD_LIBRARY_PATH not used by the linker

Ruben Di Battista rubendibattista at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:13:01 EDT 2018

Thanks for your answer,

The thing is that, since the Python dependency comes from VTK, I checked in
the VTK install directory all the CMake configuration files (In particulare
the UseVTK.cmake) file to see if they keep the Python path somewhere.

And it happens that yes, they do.
If I run: `grep -e 'python2.7' -r <PATH_TO_VTK/lib/cmake/vtk-7.1>`, I
actually get that in the file `VTKTargets.cmake`and in the
`Modules/vtkPython.cmake` they actually keep the path of the python used to
compile VTK.

For example in VTKTargets.cmake, you find:

set_target_properties(vtkWrappingPythonCore PROPERTIES
  INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES
"vtkCommonCore;/home2/softmassot/eb/Compiler/GCCcore/7.2.0/Python/2.7.14-bare/lib/
libpython2.7.so;vtksys"
)

So when I link my test target to ${VTK_LIBRARIES}, shouldn't it also be
able to retrieve the right python library from the target properties?

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 9:56 PM Roger Leigh <rleigh at codelibre.net> wrote:

> It's the quick and easy way to do it.
>
> However, I'd suggest looking at getting CMake to use the proper path
> without it.  Can you use any module-specific variables like
> PYTHON_LIBRARY to override the search.  Or even just add to
> CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.  (Does VTK support imported targets?)
>
> Regards,
> Roger
>
> On 02/08/18 20:43, Ruben Di Battista wrote:
> > Hi Roger,
> > so I explicitly passing the LDFLAGS is the way to go?
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 9:41 PM Roger Leigh <rleigh at codelibre.net
> > <mailto:rleigh at codelibre.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 02/08/18 20:03, Ruben Di Battista wrote:
> >
> >      > I'm running cmake on a system where I have module-loaded software
> >     such
> >      > that `LD_LIBRARY_PATH` gets populated by the module (actually I'm
> >     using
> >      > Lmod) function.
> >
> >     LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used by the *runtime* linker, ld.so.  It is not
> used
> >     when linking at *build* time, with ld.
> --
>
> Powered by www.kitware.com