[CMake] Question regarding CUDA support in CMake 3.8.0-rc2

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Thu Mar 16 11:01:39 EDT 2017

Hi,

The purpose of the cmake_device_link.o is to resolve device side
symbols when doing separable compilation. We do this device linking
step for all CUDA enabled targets as it makes the internal CMake to
logic significantly easier ( no need to propagate another property
through the graph, etc ). Updating CMake to only do device linking
where needed is theoretical possible, but opens up a new question on
consistency [1].

What you have pointed out is actually two issues. The first is that
target_compile_options by design does not propagate any flags to the
linker, which is a design decision made by CMake. The second being
that for CUDA arch/code flags in general need to be passed to both the
compiler and the linker.

So currently CUDA projects should specify arch/code flags through
CMAKE_CUDA_FLAGS/CMAKE_CUDA_FLAGS_<CONFIG> to have them propagate to
the linker.

[1] - If we only do device linking for targets that need separable
compilation, we introduce a split in CUDA targets where some are
satisfied by add_compile_options, and others require
CMAKE_CUDA_FLAGS/CMAKE_CUDA_FLAGS_<CONFIG>. To complicate this
situation you can't provide -arch/code in both as that will generally
result in a collection of invalid flags.