[CMake] Version compatibility?

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Mon Apr 25 08:29:12 EDT 2016

I personally have found myself having to look up to his sort of version
info a lot lately. It sounds like others do too. Perhaps a more sustainable
approach would be to include the version details in the CMAKE docs
themselves. For each command, module, variable, etc. it's documentation
could state the version it was added. Some may warrant further info for
version(s) where significant changes were made (eg keywords added to a
command). Realistically, it would have to be done progressively and
obviously with agreement from the Kitware side. It would only work if it
became part of the change process whereby any new features or changes must
include such version details. It would be interesting to hear what Kitware
think of the idea. Any chance?

On Monday, 25 April 2016, Johannes Zarl-Zierl <johannes.zarl-zierl at jku.at>
wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I've stopped working on it when 3.0 came out. Since the whole thing was
> very
> much manual work (diff'ing documentation pages and checking whether some
> change was only better documentation or a real change in cmake), it was too
> much effort to continue long-term.
>
>   Johannes
>
> On Saturday 23 April 2016 10:32:15 Rob McDonald wrote:
> > Is there a continuation of the CMake version -- feature mapping table?
> >
> > https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Version_Compatibility_Matrix
> >
> > I found this to be quite useful, but need something that continues into
> 3.X.
> >
> > Rob
>
> --
>
> Powered by www.kitware.com