[CMake] Removing duplicate entries from CXXFLAGS

Attila Krasznahorkay attila.krasznahorkay at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 07:23:05 EDT 2015

Hi Roman,

I'm not necessarily only talking about CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS here. I define compile flags for my targets in a number of different ways. Like:

   find_package( ROOT COMPONENTS ${ROOT_LINK_COMPONENTS} REQUIRED )
   include( ${ROOT_USE_FILE} )
   add_definitions( ${ATLAS_DEFINITIONS} )
   add_definitions( -Wno-unused-local-typedefs )
   if( APPLE )
      add_definitions( -Wno-tautological-undefined-compare )
      add_definitions( -Wno-inconsistent-missing-override )
   endif()
   include_directories( BEFORE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}
      ${CMAKE_INCLUDE_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY} )
   if( ARG_INCLUDE_DIRS )
      target_include_directories( ${libName} PUBLIC ${ARG_INCLUDE_DIRS} )
   endif()

The trickiest are the definitions that I pull in from external packages. For instance the second line in this example produces a *lot* of duplicate entries in the compilation flags. In this particular case the flags *are* defined like the following in the file that I include with ${ROOT_USE_FILE}:

add_definitions(${ROOT_DEFINITIONS})
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} ${ROOT_CXX_FLAGS}")

Now, CMake definitely doesn't remove the duplicates that enter in all these ways. So now I was wondering what I could do to improve on the situation...

Cheers,
           Attila