[CMake] What generator(s) should be used for MinGW-w64?

Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian Johannes.Sebastian.Mueller-Roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de
Fri Oct 31 04:14:13 EDT 2014

I have only used MinGW-w64 for years and MinGW Makefiles works just fine. The main difference between MinGW-w64 and the original MinGW is that it is far more up to date.
Binary packages can be found here: http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/download.php
I generally recommend using the mingw-builds binary packages

--
Johannes S. Mueller-Roemer, MSc
Wiss. Mitarbeiter - Interactive Engineering Technologies (IET)

Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-606  |  Fax +49 6151 155-139
johannes.mueller-roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de  |  www.igd.fraunhofer.de

-----Original Message-----
From: CMake [mailto:cmake-bounces at cmake.org] On Behalf Of Alan W. Irwin
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2014 22:07
To: cmake at cmake.org
Subject: [CMake] What generator(s) should be used for MinGW-w64?

PLplot developers and users have had a lot of success with MinGW alone (using the "MinGW Makefiles" generator) or the combination of MinGW and MSYS (using the "MSYS Makefiles" generator).  However, there is another gcc compiler out there for Windows called MinGW-w64 that one of our users would like to use, but I don't know exactly what to advise him, and so I hope somebody here has had some practical CMake experience with the MinGW-w64 compiler and could help with such advice.

Here is what I know so far:

MinGW-w64 is a completely separate project than MinGW with different developers, install procedure, etc.  I have read distributed binary versions of MSYS are all built with MSYS so are not ABI-compatible with MinGW-w64, and I will proceed on that assumption.
Furthermore, there is an MSYS2 project (a completely independent project from MSYS, see <http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Home/>)
which _is_ API-compatible with MinGW-w64 since it is built with that compiler.

The combination of MinGW-w64 and MSYS2 seems fairly well documented (see the above wiki reference).  It appears for example, this combination is a "lite" version of Cygwin.  So I assume that if MSYS2 is on the PATH, then the "Unix Makefiles" generator is the correct one to use for this case (since that is the recommended generator for Cygwin), but I would like confirmation of that if someone here has experience with the combination of MinGW-w64 and MSYS2.

Another possible case is when neither MSYS nor MSYS2 are on the PATH.
Is the "MinGW Makefiles" generator the correct one to use with the
MinGW-w64 compiler for this case?  My guess is that might work if the
MinGW-w64 binary package includes some form of make command (similar to the MinGW mingw32-make.exe command), but I am having trouble finding a binary package for MinGW-w64 so I have no idea whether binary packages exist for MinGW-w64, and if so whether they include some form of make command.  So if somebody here has some experience with the MinGW-w64 without MSYS2, I would appreciate your comments.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Victoria (astrowww.phys.uvic.ca).

Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state implementation for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time Ephemerides project (timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting software package (plplot.sf.net); the libLASi project (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).

Linux-powered Science