[CMake] fixup_bundle and bundle install names

Mikael Sundell mikael.sundell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 09:15:53 EDT 2014

fixup_bundle can't resolve dynamic libraries with non-absolute
install_names. I'm linking my macosx cmake project against an sdk inside an
application bundle, the sdk libraries are relative to the application
bundle configuration. It seems as if the fixup_bundle uses the install name
even if it's not absolute instead of the actual file path, typical output:

-- fixup_bundle: preparing...
-- warning: embedded item does not exist
'/git/studio/QuickComp/install/quickcomp.app/Contents/MacOS/liblpcore.dylib'
--
warning: cannot resolve item '@executable_path/liblpcore.dylib'

  possible problems:
    need more directories?
    need to use InstallRequiredSystemLibraries?
    run in install tree instead of build tree?

warning: target '@executable_path/liblpcore.dylib' is not absolute...
warning: target '@executable_path/liblpcore.dylib' does not exist...
/usr/bin/otool: can't open file: @executable_path/liblpcore.dylib (No such
file or directory)

"@executable_path/liblpcore.dylib" is the install name of the bundle
dynamic library.

Is there a work-around or an override that can be used?

Mikael