[CMake] Testsuite with lots of targets of the same name - How to handle?

Eric Fiselier eric at efcs.ca
Wed Jun 11 22:23:48 EDT 2014

I need some help. I'm moving my C++ test suite from one giant test
executable into smaller separate test executable. Each cpp file (test case)
is going to get compiled into its own executable. Because of the amount of
test cases and the naming convention of the tests, I'm having trouble
figuring out how to generate all the executables.

The trouble I'm having is that this will result in plenty of targets having
the same name. For example if I have the directory structure

tests/foo/default_constructor_test.pass.cpp
tests/foo/CMakeLists.txt
tests/bar/default_constructor_test.pass.cpp
tests/bar/CMakeLists.txt

Both CMakeLists would have a target default_constructor_test.pass.
Obviously this doesn't work.

Whats the best way to handle creating a lot of executables, possibly with
the same name?

Thanks for any and all help,
Eric