[CMake] Why simple `cmake` does not launch default generator on current directory?

Adam Strzelecki ono at java.pl
Wed Jun 11 15:28:16 EDT 2014

Hello,

We started using CMake recently in our projects. And it is really a timesaver comparing to Qmake/autotools, however there is one thing that bothers me.

Why typing simple: cmake in command line doesn't trigger configure with default generator (i.e. Makefile)? It just prints help, which is anyway accessible via cmake -h/--help.

This is really weird comparing to other tools such as ./configure, quake, make, that do not expect any parameter to launch them up.

Fortunately there is `cmake .`, but the dot is kinda superfluous.

Regards,
--
Adam