[CMake] CMAKE_COMPILER variable

Michael Enright michael.enright at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:30:38 EDT 2014

I've got an External_Project_Add in my superbuild that adds a CMake-built
library to the build. It attempts to use the CMAKE_COMPILER variable in
order to define CMAKE_C_COMPILER for this library's build.

This external project's build is flakey. I intend to diagnose this myself
so I don't plan to supply a reduction or anything like that, I'm just
trying to gather information.

To that end, I need an authoritative definition of CMAKE_COMPILER, i.e. I
have been searching for a web page where CMAKE_COMPILER is described. Apart
from googling I have also just manually reviewed
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake2.6docs.html
and
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v2.8.12/cmake.html

Neither of those contain the string "CMAKE_COMPILER" except as substrings
of other names such as CMAKE_COMPILER_2005.

Can anyone provide a link or say anything about this variable?