[CMake] Visual Studio and /STACK

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 18:11:47 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> On 10/25/2013 4:36 PM, James Bigler wrote:
>
>> My experience mirrored Clint's.  Our version of CMake on the farm was at
>> 2.8.12, but locally developers were at differing versions.  What made
>> matters worse is that it is a lot harder to diagnose problems from farm
>> built binaries, so it wasn't until one of the 4 developers looking into
>> this problem was able to get a local debug build were we able to figure
>> out it was a stack problem.  At that point, I happened to remember that
>> CMake modified the default stack size, and with a bit of investigation
>> realized the flag was missing on newer versions.  Basically I wasn't
>> expecting CMake versions to be a contributing factor, so it was one of
>> the last things I looked at.
>>

> Well, I guess it is too late to do this in a different way now.  :)
>
> Any suggestions on how/where a warning could be placed to help people out
> with this?
>
> -Bill

 I can't think of a good way to warn users.  Hopefully, this thread will be
a landmark folks can find if they have similar problems, though again I
never would have suspected CMake to blame on this.  Are there other flags
such as this that CMake sets that could affect program behavior like this?
 If so, they should probably be removed with a policy.  Having your build
system add "magic flags" is generally a bad idea.

James