[CMake] Generating stand-alone Visual Studio projects?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Oct 15 04:23:10 EDT 2013

Hi CMake list,

A colleague and I are trying to somewhat sneak in CMake in a project
that uses Visual Studio for IDE.  This is a fairly big step to take
and we anticipate a bit of push-back, even if it clearly is a
worthwhile improvement.  One way to maybe ease the transition would be
to check in the CMake-generated solution+projects.  I took the naive
approach and just removed the CMake-generated files, the cache etc,
just keeping the VS solution+projects.  The next build I noticed that
CMake was re-run and the cache was regenerated.

Is there some way to get CMake to generate solution+projects that
don't have any tie to CMake at all, its cache or CMakeLists.txt files,
that are suitable to check into a VCS and thereby not require every
user of the code to install CMake themselves?

I am well aware of the potential problems arising from CMake not being
a round-trip tool, i.e. that changes made to the solution+projects
don't end up in the CMakeLists.txt automatically.  At this point in
time that isn't a big concern for us though.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org