[CMake] Is there an easy way to time how long build parts take.

Miller Henry MillerHenry at JohnDeere.com
Thu Mar 21 14:11:58 EDT 2013

Our build it taking a long time, (15+ minutes even when with a massive build farm to distribute compiles across), and the question keeps coming up: what is actually taking so long.  Is there an easy way to measure?

If there are some top 10 files we might be able to split them (reducing some includes).  If it is a link step we might be able to reduce dependencies. Maybe a couple unit tests (some frameworks give this information but not all)? I don't know how to get data so it is difficult to attack the problem.

We are using cmake 2.8.10.1  (a few random people have 2.8.11-rc1, results are encouraging: we intend to update everyone when it is released) on ubuntu lucid.