[CMake] Cmake and Visual Studio platforms

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 06:44:18 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:31 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are multiple posts in multiple forums asking this question, so
>> naturally there is public need for this feature. How come CMake never aimed
>> at creating a solution for this? I suspect there is some great design issue
>> that prevents implementing it in CMake. There are several platform and
>> generator specific options already inside CMake, why can't this be another
>> one?
>>
> I believe the current method of forcing the developer to use different
> build trees for 64bit and 32bit works very well. I have used this for
> almost 5 years now of development under Visual Studio 2005 to 2012.

Also there are reasons why this will not work in the current design.
Outside of the few CMAKE variables that are set for the compiler that
would be wrong the biggest problem I believe would be libraries. You
can not link a x64 library with a 32 bit program so CMake would have
to track what libraries were x64 versus 32bit which may seem like just
adding additional configurations over Release,Debug ... would solve
but that will not work with the way finders work. Also I do not
believe CMake supports this configuration on any other platform.

John