[CMake] How about a CMake debugger?

Thu Feb 21 15:32:32 EST 2013

As I'm now deep in tracing through 80K lines of cmake --trace output, man
I'd love some sort of CMake debugger!

Actually if you use Emacs you can kinda sorta do tracing -- run CMake with
the --trace parameter in the compile bufffer (i.e. alt-x compile command)
and then the Emacs next-error steps a line at a time through the trace
output, just like a source debugger.

But it doesn't give you the option of seeing the values of CMake variables,
or to change them.

I know this is asking for a major feature change, but CMake has grown up.
 We now have multi-thousand-line CMake build systems, and the only
debugging tool we have is MESSAGE()