[CMake] SuperProject vs SubProject generators

James Turner james.turner at kdab.com
Thu Feb 21 10:34:59 EST 2013

Hi,

I've just setup a SuperBuild using ExternalProject, and am pleasantly surprised how well it works so far.

I've encountered one issue, which is awkward - I'm basically using the SuperBuild to automate assembling / updating dependencies for the final sub-project, which is the real project I normally work on. I typically work on that project using Xcode and the Xcode generator. The problem is, if I use -G Xcode for the super build, some parts fail (and to be honest this is no surprise - amongst the dependencies is Boost, for example).

So the question, can I safely set things to use a different generator for a CMake-based ExternalProject, and still have a top-level build of everything? The documentation for how the generator flag is handled by ExternalProject_Add, makes me think there might be something 'magic' happening. (This would mean, for example, the top-level Makefile called xcodebuild to build the xcodeprojs I guess)

I didn't yet try this on MSVC, I'm curious what the situation will be there with the same setup. Is a top-level NMake build with msbuild of VisualStudio child projects possible?

Regards,
James