[CMake] Visual Studio project generation under unicode path

Meteorhead nagymatef at freemail.hu
Mon Feb 11 16:27:19 EST 2013

Hi!

I have an issue with CMake generating Visual Studio 11 project files under a
path containing unicode characters. For safety reasons I develop on a cloud
backed directory (Skydrive) which is located locally under my home folder in
Windows 8. Since Windows 8 uses Live-ID when installing the OS, it
automatically creates my account with my first name. This I have little
control of, therefore my home folder is under C:\Users\MátéFerenc.

When I generate a Visual Studio 11 project files, CMake fails to locate the
simple project file it wishes to compile with the following output:

Check for working C compiler using: Visual Studio 11 Win64 -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Kellekek/CMake
2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:61 (message):
  The C compiler "C:/Kellekek/Microsoft Visual Studio
  11.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe" is not able to compile a simple test
program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir:
C:/Users/MátéFerenc/SkyDrive/Develop/Archive/Tests/cmake_test/VS2012/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:C:\Kellekek\MICROS~1.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com
  CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec1388424955

  Microsoft (R) Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Version 11.0.51106.1.

  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp.  All rights reserved.

  C:\Users\M
t‚Ferenc\SkyDrive\Develop\Archive\Tests\cmake_test\VS2012\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\ALL_BUILD.vcxproj
  : error : Unable to read the project file "ALL_BUILD.vcxproj".

If move the build directory outside my home, it works alright. Creating
nmake files also works fine. It is only VS project files under my home. Even
though CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS is set, if I generate the project files
outside my home, then move the project root dir somewhere else, VS fails to
find any of the files. Is there some way to overcome this issue? (Not
copying the projects after being generated, but using cmake under my home
folder for VS solutions)