[CMake] Setting CMAKE_BUILD_TOOL or CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM with MinGW tools

Donald Robinson drobinson at essa.com
Wed Feb 6 22:06:50 EST 2013

I have Cmake 2.8.8 installed along with MinGW 4.7.2 on Windows XP with no
other development tools. I would like this project to build using only MinGW
tools, if possible. The project includes C and Fortran code, and those are
both recognized (GNU 4.7.2 and GNU, respectively) and correctly generate
simple test programs. My CMakeLists.txt file contains this line:

SET(CMAKE_BUILD_TOOL C:/MinGW/bin/mingw32-make.exe)

which I hope to use, to replace the default 'nmake' that seems to be
expected when building with

cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles"

However, Cmake fails at the next "system self-test"  step when it tries to
call 'nmake' to test a simple C makefile. There I no 'nmake' on the system.
The error message is:

Cmake Error: Generator: execution of make failed. Make command was: nmake
/NOLOGO "cmTryCompileExec970418286\fast"

Any advice would be welcome.