[CMake] Linker command line length issues when cross-compiling from Windows->Linux

Eric Gross eric.gross at ni.com
Wed Feb 6 11:03:39 EST 2013

"Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote on 02/06/2013 03:22:07
AM:

> From: "Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca>
> To: Eric Gross <eric.gross at ni.com>
> Cc: cmake at cmake.org
> Date: 02/06/2013 03:22 AM
> Subject: Re: [CMake] Linker command line length issues when cross-
> compiling from Windows->Linux
>
> On 2013-02-05 19:46-0600 Eric Gross wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using CMake 2.8.10.2 with the "Unix Makefiles" generator on
Windows
> > and cross-compiling for Linux using GCC.
>
> > [....]Any ideas?
>
> What is your use case?  It might turn out that direct compilation on a
> Linux box is best for your needs since the big advantage of that
> approach is you can immediately test what you are building.

My use case is cross-compiling for some embedded architectures that may
not have the full toolchain available on the target itself. I could
perhaps still cross-compile, but on an x86 Linux host instead of Windows,
but this seems to add needless complexity to my build setup. In general
our build process can build most of our platforms from Windows and it
makes things a bit simpler.

Eric