[CMake] How to use CMAKE_POLICY?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Tue Dec 18 07:46:42 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Alexander Neundorf <
a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Monday 17 December 2012, David Cole wrote:
> > I thought we wanted them to switch to the new behavior... Isn't that the
> > goal of emitting warnings from policy implementations...?
>
> ...but not as long as the project still wants to keep the old minimum
> required
> cmake version (or am I mixing things up) ?
>
> Alex

No, you're not mixing things up. You're correct.

If somebody wants to use minimum required 2.6.2 *and* they don't like
warnings emitted by newer versions of CMake about new policies, then they
have to change their code, or use the -D CMAKE_POLICY_DEFAULT_CMP<NNNN>
technique.

Now if they're going to change their code anyway, why not make a change
that is compatible with the new policy introduced rather than adding a
bunch of code to keep things in the OLD state. With many policies it is
possible to write CMake code that honors the NEW state of the policy, but
still works with older CMakes.

I would ask for specific advice regarding the particulars of the policy
violation to see if there is such a way to re-write the code to work with
older AND newer CMakes before I would ever consider setting a policy to OLD
in my own CMakeLists files.

HTH,
David